Tumi is one of those celebrities you want to go out to lunch with and have a good time like you’ve known each other for years. She’s the 1st lady of the band, Gangs Of Instrumental and she’s also known for her role as Letitia on one of the funnies local comedy City Ses’la on SABC1. Check out our interview with her.
You have such a mellow voice. When did realise you could actually sing?
I was in STD7 when my music teacher asked us to do a singing presentation. After my presentation, she insisted I perform at assembly and based on everyone’s reaction, I knew I had something special.
How did you guys form GI? Were you this close before the group?
GI(Gangs Of Instrumentals) was formed in 2002 after I graduated from college. Mandla and I met in college and had been working on a project which we felt was missing some Reggae flavour. Mandla met up with Riot, who was performing at Horror Cafe. Riot joined us in studio and the rest is history.
You’re also an actress on City Ses’la. Have you always wanted to be an entertainer when you grew up or was it one those careers that found you instead?
I grew up relatively shy, unless I was singing at a family member’s wedding, or MC’ing at a party. So performing has always been in me. I just didn’t know till I was in high school that I would pursue entertainment as a career.
For some reason, I can’t separate you & comedy. Do you see yourself going for more serious roles in the future?
Absolutely. I just need to find the time to develop a story and do it.
You and Malaika’s Tshidi seem like the only two group lead singers I know who haven’t yet gone solo. Am I speaking too soon?
Yes, you never know what the future might hold.
- Producing crowning Miss Soweto, a reality TV series on Soweto TV (DSTV 150), Saturdays 19H30.
- Coordinating the crowning of Miss Soweto event, happening on 29 October 2010 at Nasrec MTN Expo Centre. Visit www.misssoweto.co.za for more info.
- Post-production of the latest and 4th season of City Sesla on SABC1, Fridays at 20H30
- Recording GI’s 4th album ‘Superstar’.
- Developing City Sesla the movie for release in 2010.
- Managing the African United Southgate Park, a 5-a-side action soccer club and sports bar at Southgate Mall.
- Incubating our next bundle of joy, due to arrive anytime now.
- For braids and plaits – Sulphur 8/ Pure Royal Spray is great to moisturize hair and keep the hairline in tact.
- Scalp – Pure Royal Scalp Treatment is awesome for hair growth, especially on the hairline and no dandruff.
- Weaves – Olive Oil Sheen Spray is my best, not too shiny and still takes care of your hair.